This page lists Construction kits and parts which are allowed for use in the Construction Kit competitions 2022 and examples of parts which are not allowed.
The list may be updated, stay connected.
If in doubt, ask us: email.
Important common note
All robots shall be built according to the participants' design, not just that robot described in a kit manual. That applies for the built as well as for the program. Especially mind the line follower and sumo robots; many kits include direct plans for that and we do not want to see such robots. The robot has to be built and programmed on your own.
Approved Construction Kits
It is allowed to use any official kit branch, including Classic Lego, Duplo, Mindstorms, Technic, WeDo, Spike and such.
It is allowed to use any official control unit, including RCX / NXT / EV3 / Technic Hub / Smart Hub / Small Hub. (Special bonus for those who use at least three different units in a single project ;-) )
Lego parts from any official kit can be mixed within one project as needed
- Makeblock Note: Codey Rocky or mTiny are not "kits"!
- Vex IQ
- Vex V5/EDR Note: Vex IQ and Vex V5 (formerly EDR) kits cannot be mixed. Use either this or that, not a mixture.
- If you want to use other construction set, ask us.
(Arduino is not a construction set)
Approved parts for m-Bitbeam-based robots
Approved parts for other non-Lego-based robots
- So far, there was no need to specify allowed parts for Construction sets other than Lego, everything was clear. If needed, ask us.
Approved parts for Lego-based robots
- All original LEGO parts from any set
- Hitechnic "Lego certified sensors" and accessories :
- NAC1040 NXT Acceleration / Tilt Sensor
- NAA1030 NXT Angle Sensor
- NBR1036 NXT Barometric Sensor
- NCO1038 NXT Color Sensor V2
- NMC1034 NXT Compass Sensor
- NEO1048 NXT EOPD
- NFS1074 NXT Force Sensor
- NGY1044 NXT Gyro Sensor
- NIL1046 NXT IRLink Sensor
- NIR1032 NXT IRReceiver Sensor
- NSK1042 NXT IRSeeker V2
- NMS1035 NXT Magnetic Sensor
- NIS1070 NXT PIR Sensor
- NSX2020 HiTechnic Sensor Multiplexer
- NTX1060 NXT Touch Sensor Multiplexer
- HBK2100 360 IR Beacon
- Codatex RFID-Sensor für LEGO Mindstorm NXT
- Sensor and motor extenders / multiplexers:
- Mindsensors EV3 Sensor Multiplexer for EV3 or NXT
- Mindsensors Multiplexer for NXT/EV3 Motors
- Mindsensors Port Splitter for NXT Digital Sensors
- BUT make sure you understand what does it mean to use such splitters with analogue and/or i2c sensors or motors! If used improperly, it might not work and it might even harm you Lego control brick.
- Note: Many parts get obsolete and are not available for sale any more, but still are allowed to be used. Valuable info can be found in the Internet Archive . If you get "page not found" error, try to paste the link in the Wayback Machine search, e.g. click here for archived page of Hitechnic sensors
- This list might not be exhaustive. If you want to use other parts with LEGO-based robot, you'd better ask us and we will consider adding it.
Not allowed parts for Lego-based robots
- Examples of not allowed parts:
- all Mindsensors "EV3 and NXT" parts except those listed above
- HiTechnic NXT SuperPro Prototype Board
- HiTechnic Controller
- Vernier NXT sensor adapter and all Vernier sensors
This is an example of parts, which are not allowed. It is not exhaustive, just examples of parts, which cannot be used in the Construction Kits contests. If a specific sensor is not on this list, it does not mean it is allowed. To be allowed, it must be listed in the approved parts section above.